Four million prescriptions have been lost or damaged by Canadians.
This comes at a cost.
874,000 prescriptions were ripped or torn
88,000 prescriptions were eaten by dogs
140,000 prescriptions were claimed by puddles
415,000 took a spin in a washing machine
The Cost of Lost Prescriptions
700,000 Canadians decided to go without a prescription
Nearly 1.7 million Canadians returned to their doctor for a new prescription
Medication non-adherence can lead to adverse events. It also increases costs to the health care system. According to a World Health Organization report, medication non-adherence accounts for five per cent of Canadian hospital admissions and five per cent of physician visits, resulting in an additional $4 billion in health care costs annually.
Returning to the doctor’s office for a refill is also costly — to the tune of $35 million in lost productivity, travel and other costs.
Benefits of e-Prescribing
- Fewer medication-related errors
- Less risk of losing prescriptions
- Lower risk of privacy breaches due to fax transmissions issues
- Improved understanding of prescribing in Canada through health care analytics to deliver better health outcomes for all Canadians
- Patients pharmacy of choice assured
- Less prescription fraud and less potential for abuse of prescriptions
The PrescribeIT™ Advantage
PrescribeIT™ is the only national, not-for-profit e-prescribing service that enhances medication safety and protects patient privacy.
- Seamlessly integrates with existing electronic medical records (EMR) and pharmacy management systems (PMS)
- Integrates with jurisdictional assets such as drug information systems (DIS), drug formularies and registries
- Was developed with input from community prescribers, pharmacies, provincial and territorial governments and regulators
- Is committed to protecting an influence free dispensing and prescribing environment
- Safeguards prescription data from commercial use
- Was developed using non-repayable funding grants from Health Canada to offset the setup costs of the service