Canada Health Infoway is working with Health Canada, the provinces and territories, and industry stakeholders to operate and maintain PrescribeIT®, a national e-prescribing service. PrescribeIT® enables prescribers to electronically transmit a prescription directly from an electronic medical record to the pharmacy management system of a patient’s pharmacy of choice.
What will PrescribeIT® do?
PrescribeIT® is a national e-prescribing service that provides safer and more efficient medication management by connecting community-based prescribers (such as physicians and nurse practitioners) to community retail pharmacies, enabling the digital transmission of prescriptions.
PrescribeIT® serves patients, pharmacies and prescribers, and:
- Ensures patient choice of pharmacy
- Safeguards patient health data from commercial use
- Maintains an influence-free prescribing and dispensing environment
- Continues to be accountable to Canadians through their federal, provincial and territorial governments
PrescribeIT® enables prescribers and pharmacists to electronically create, receive, renew and cancel prescriptions. The service also provides:
- Secure clinician messaging
- Prescription status notifications
- Integration with public drug formularies*
- Standardized terminology through the Canadian Clinical Drug Data Set
- Enhanced user identity proofing with multi-factor authentication
- Reduced potential for fraud and abuse, especially for narcotics and other controlled substances
Please download the PrescribeIT® Backgrounder for more information.
*in jurisdictions where it is available.